Re: Odor detection

  • Subject: Re: Odor detection
  • From: Piabinha@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:34:10 -0500 (CDT)

lord malodorus,

i am not saying that Amorph. don't stink when they flower.  i don't doubt the chemical composition of the compounds in the inflorescences.  all i'm saying is i have not detected any strong smells in the two you sent me that bloomed (sumawongii and longituberosus).  maybe i'm just not home when they stink to high heaven, but in the morning and in the evening when i am, i couldn't detect anything.  i think bernhard also couldn't smell a thing.  i was expecting my apt. to smell like a rat had died but so far it hasn't happened (thank goodness).

it's interesting because Stapeliads also have a reputation for being "carrion flowers" and i could detect very clearly the stench from Edithcolea grandis when it bloomed, but it wasn't detectable from a distance.  with Stapelia angolensis, i had to stick my nose up the flowers to get a whiff of that pestilence.  it just sounds to me that the bad odors of some flowers have been greatly exaggerated.  of course, with an inflorescence as big as titanum, i'd think the odors are much stronger.

--
tsuh yang in nyc