RE: Amorph. growth after flowering

  • Subject: RE: Amorph. growth after flowering
  • From: Ron McHatton <rmchatton@photocircuits.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:39:48 -0500 (CDT)

My clone flowered last year and the tuber has rested for an entire year.
 It emerged from dormancy about four weeks ago.  As for the fragrance
discussion, be thankful you apparently cannot smell many of these plants.
 The level of stench is not overrated.  I flowered A. sumawongii last year
and the little flower filled the entire 600 square foot greenhouse on a
couple of mornings and could even be detected outside the greenhouse.  I
also flowered two clones of A. longituberosus this spring.  One of them
with a very small inflorescence had virtually no detectable odor, but the
larger one was quite powerful.  The only difference I can see is that the
odorless one had a very small female zone.  It will be interesting to smell
this one on later, larger flowerings.  Two years ago I flowered a clone of
A. abysinnicus and our neighbors wanted to know if I was using cow manure
as fertilizer.  They could smell it in their back yard.

The last couple of mornings, A. fallax has been "perfuming" the entire
terrace.  These little flowers are only about 3 inches long and the stench
is so strong that our neighbor commented about something foul when he went
out to run.  He was smelling it from some 75 feet away.

Ron McHatton in Atlanta