Re: [aroid-l] what does inflorescence mean?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] what does inflorescence mean?
  • From: Susan snalice@dslextreme.com
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 11:41:09 -0700

The largest true flower (one flower, one bloom) is (unless there is another one
that someone knows about that hasn't been mentioned yet) is Rafflesia Kerri
Meijer:  http://www.geocities.com/pantoorat/Buaphut.html  This flower is truely
just one flower.  I can't get down to the nitty gritty of flower parts showing
the reason it is just one flower, but it is.  The largest 'inflorescence' (MANY
flowers all on one stalk) is Amorphophallus titanum.  I think this can be
considered the world largest 'bloom', but not 'flower'.  Would that be correct?