Re: [aroid-l] Pycnospatha arietina

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Pycnospatha arietina
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 08:43:11 +0200

Pycnospatha is a real easy grower and multiplies well if you have it
established. An average potting soil is o.k.. If you start out with a
rootless tuber, wait untill you see some activity of the apical bud, then
pot and water gently. When in leaf keep moist in an average way, nothing
special. When the plant dies down, you may want to check the tuber for bad
spots but put it back in soil after that. Many thicker roots will remain and
they should not dry out. Check regularly for regrowth of the apical bud. In
case the plant flowers, that may happen before leafing out or simultaneous
with it or after it. When it flowers without leaf, just keep on watering
(average) when the flower withers. The leaf will emerge. When you take out
the resting tuber, try to avoid the offset-tuberettes to dislodge (they are
mostly at the top of the tuber as in Dracontium). Take them off when you
replant the main tuber and pot them separately. Most of them will develop
new plants.

Cheerio,
Wilbert