Re: [aroid-l] Germinating titanium seeds

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Germinating titanium seeds
  • From: Neil Gordon <neil@ng23.abelgratis.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:17:10 +0100
On 23 Jun 2004, at 01:11, Mitch . wrote:

I just got my seeds in the mail and they are HUGE. Even after looking at pictures of them for years I was not prepared for just how enormous these things are.
Now can someone let a novice like me know the best way to germinate them and care for them? I've read they germinate easily but are difficult to care for untill they get some size.

Ive got mine in a soil

" recommended compost mix (as used at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew) is
2 parts loam
2 parts coir
1 part grit
2 parts fine bark
2 parts medium bark
2 parts perlite or vermiculite.

This is a very free draining mix so be prepared to feed at least twice a week with a balanced fertilizer (we strongly recommend Miracle Gro). Decrease watering and feeding during autumn and keep barely moist in frost free conditions over winter. Look for signs of growth (usually late spring to early summer) and gradually increase watering."

planted in 6" pots with plastic bags over them, and i plug the propogator in in the eves at the moment, its been a bit colder here in UK the last few nights!

Both my hewitti seeds germinated happily in this.

The soil info was taken from this page