[aroid-l] Fw: [treefern] Manures & Tree Ferns

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Fw: [treefern] Manures & Tree Ferns
  • From: "G. D. M." <doji@interpac.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:08:08 -1000

----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Rogers
To: treefern@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [treefern] Manures & Tree Ferns

Hi

Perhaps a word of warning.
Chicken manure raw!! (straight from the factory) is far too strong and burns on application, it needs dilution in water.  Think 1 in 10gal is about right and the liquid for use is 1 in 10 gal as well.

Commercial stuff should be ok at their recommended strength which usually contains only minimal true product.

Keith

Keith is absolutely correct.  I did mean the commercial bagged, dried, ground up stuff.  It still looks like an accident happened when tossed on top, I mentioned making a tea out of it as he correctly states to avoid burning, especially if it is fresh from the cloaca!!

Thanks for the correction,  Gary

G. D. M. wrote:
  The people around here that do fertilize their tree ferns usually use chicken manure.  Not too much, but drop it on the top of the trunk among the new crosiers.  We do have a lot of rain so dilution occurs rapidly.  I think that heat treating only ensures pasteurization to kill organisms and will not remove the presence of salts as are commonly found in horse and cow manures.  After a season of rain washing the salts out, it might be best used around the base of the fern, not on the trunk the way we use the chicken manure.  ZooDoo is a mixture of manures and old bedding etc. of the various ungulates at the individual facilities and probably has the same salts as the domestic animals.  Leaching should do the trick.  If throwing a handful of dried, powdered chicken manure gives the appearance of snow on the fern, you can make a tea and water with that from the top.  Don't overdue it though, bird droppings are high in nitrogen and can burn if applied to heavily or left too long.  Hardly an expert opinion, but it works for me.

  Gary