Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum and marketing

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum and marketing
  • From: Don Martinson llmen@wi.rr.com
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:57:35 -0500

Title: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus titanum and marketing

The correct address to the Myriad Botanical Gardens is:
Why do botanic gardens continue to refer to Amorphophallus titanum as the "Titan Arum" or the "Corpse Flower" and use its correct name just once near the bottom of an article or not at all ?  I thought botanic gardens are supposed to educate people.

It's my experience, Linda, that the public at large is intimidated by Latin names.  In addition, botanic gardens must play the marketing game and get folks to come and see their displays (and pay entry fees, make donations, etc).  I have a hunch that they will get more people to come and see the "Corpse Flower" than see the "Amorphophallus titanum".
Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Aroid-l mailing list