Re: [Aroid-l] Blanching Query

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Blanching Query
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:50:08 -0500 (CDT)

I'm pretty sure I've read that one of the fascinating adaptations of plants is
the repositioning of chloroplasts within the cells to adjust to different light
conditions.

I seem to remember that this works both ways - in low light conditions, they
will be positioned to maximize light absorption, and in in very high light
conditions, the sort that can cause leaf damage (in the same way that it can
damage human skin cells), they're arranged to reduce absorption.

What I haven't seen is anything specifically connecting this up with the
adaptation process Ken mentions, but I've always thought it made sense both
ways. If you adjust the light levels gradually, there's time for such a
mechanism to work; if the change is too abrupt, it may be more economical for
the plant to cut its losses, ditch the poorly adapted/damaged leaf, and produce
another which is better suited for that light level. But that's me speculating.

I read this long ago, before there was much of a web. Probably there's lots of
information on it out there now (if I'm more or less on track, that is).

Steve

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Ken Mosher wrote:

> Ted,
>
> The crowd I hang around with has always called this "sunburn." Moving a
> plant outdoors into the sun does not have to result in leaf drop (or
> permanent scarring or death in the case of cacti and other stem
> succulents) if you introduce them to ever increasing amounts of sun over
> a period of weeks.
>
> Start with dappled shade, after a week or two more sun, etc.  Soon
> enough you can have them in full sun with no ill effects. Sorry I can't
> give you the scientific reason why...
>
> -Ken
>
> ted.held@us.henkel.com wrote:
> >
> > Dear aroid horticulturists,
> >
> > Here I am again being curious.
> >
> > What is happening when an indoor plant is moved outside and experiences
> > massive blanching? This seems pretty universal for plants, not just for

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com