[Aroid-l] Is Philodendron bipennifolium formerly known as Philodendron panduriforme?

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Is Philodendron bipennifolium formerly known as Philodendron panduriforme?
  • From: "ExoticRainforest" <Steve@ExoticRainforest.com>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:58:59 -0500

Since I began this discussion on my own website I've been hit with a fair number of emails telling me I'm "dead wrong" and Philodendron panduriforme is just an old name for Philodendron bipennifolium.  Others try to tell me the plants are almost identical with the exception that P. panduriforme has rounded upper lobes and P. bipennifolium has pointed upper lobes.  And still others helped point me to the correct answer.  I've spent quite a bit of time corresponding with a number of experts and today recieved from Julius Boos in West Palm Beach a copy of volume 9 of the International Aroid Society's journal, Aroideana. In that journal is a photo of the the real Philodendron panduriforme taken by Dr. Croat.

If you wish to see photos of both species and read all the information I've collected so far click on this link.
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20bipennifolium%20pc.html

Sometimes old beliefs die hard among plant collectors!

My thanks to Julius Boos for his help in tracking down the photo of P. panduriforme.  I've now updated the link on the website with several new color photos of Philodendron bipennifolium and the black and white photo from Dr. Croat of Philodendron panduriforme.  I hope to soon have photos of the fully adult form of P. bipennifolium from Joep Moonen in French Guiana.

Steve Lucas