Re: [Aroid-l] black warocqueanum

There was no "professed skepticism".  I was absolutely skeptical!  As I explained in an earlier post, Julius Boos, Leland Miyano and I discussed this plant repeatedly for days.  At first Julius agreed with me, we both thought this was nonsense.  You likely read Julius' note on variations to Windy just yesterday.  That is exactly what we thought this "black" waroc to be!  Leland on the otherhand knew better.  He was aware of several growers who actually had the plant.  He set out carefully to convince both Julius and myself the offer was genuine.  But since the three of us trade email almost daily (not through Aroid l), you were not privy to those conversations.  Then you stepped in and verifed exactly what Leland had been telling me in email after email.  Both you and he convinced me this could be a great chance to get a possible undescribed species, and I stated my mind had been changed on Aroid l before the auction ended.  So I bid in the last few minutes.  There was zero attempt at deception.  I was convinced this was pure hype until Leland, who many of you will meet as the IAS guest speaker in September, convinced me otherwise and I corresponded with David Fell.

Steve Lucas

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:26 AM
Subject: [Aroid-l] black warocqueanum

hi, steve. looks like, despite your professed skepticism, you out-bid me for david's ebay "black warocqueanum." pretty tricky there, fellah! ; ^ )

enjoy!

best,

john

On Jun 25, 2007, at 1:48 PM, aroid-l-request@gizmoworks.com wrote:

Well, my A. warocqueanum is close to black!  Does that make it undescribed?  I don't think so!  I'd say this is hype and there's a ton of it on eBay!

Steve Lucas