Re: Structures on a Philo. spadix

  • Subject: Re: Structures on a Philo. spadix
  • From: "Alex Popovkin" <popovkin@gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:03:31 -0300

The same process on Philodendron acutatum Schott from the restinga area of Bahia, Brazil, could be seen in a series of images beginning with this one (http://www.flickr.com/photos/plants_of_russian_in_brazil/469014436/in/set-72157600110831842/).
Alex Popovkin
On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 11:43 AM, <ju-bo@msn.com> wrote:

> From: Steve@ExoticRainforest.com
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: [Aroid-l] : Philodendron sagittifolium at female anthesis!
> Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 08:45:00 -0500
> Philodendron sagittifolium cut spathe

Dear Steve and fellow Aroidophiles,

Steve`s excellent photo is of a typical bisexual aroid`s spadix, in this case the species is Philodendron sagittifolium.
The lower yellowish section is the zone of female flowers, they were hidden within the globular lower portion or chamber/tube of the spathe, and would have been seen to be wet and ''sticky'' earlier on when female anthesis was in progress.   They will dry and turn brown shortly.
It is not really visible, but just above this female zone is a shorter zone of sterile male flowers, they are thought to be the source of the scent production.   This shorter zone is the point at which the spathe is constricted and so closely ''embraces'' the spadix.
Above this is the resin covered and stained male section of flowers extending upwards to the tip of the spadix.  In this case the spadix is said to be fertile to the tip, but in some Philodendrons and in some other bisexual aroids there is a sterile area of male flowers near the tip, also thought to be involved in scent production.
At male anthesis the fertile portion would be seen to be covered in pollen extruded by the male flowers, this pollen under natural conditions in the jungle would adhere to the emerging beetles glued to their shiny surfaces by the resin seen as a reddish stain on this portion of the spadix.
I hope that this is of help in understanding the pollination mechanism of some aroids.
Thanks for sharing with all of us, Steve.
Good Growing,

> Julius asked this morning that I cut the spathe away.  Here is the photo of the exposed interior.  I would like for him to explain what you are seeing.  I've read this material several times but do not feel I am proficient or qualified in making an explanation.  I intentionally left the photo oversized so you could scroll up and down to better examine the subject.
> Take it away Julius!
> Steve Lucas
> www.ExoticRainforest.com
Aroid-L mailing list