Ecuadorian aroids--Elizabeth`s photo site.

  • Subject: Ecuadorian aroids--Elizabeth`s photo site.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:02:02 +0000

> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:46:25 -0400
> From: pugturd@alltel.net
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Ecuadorian aroids
Dear Elizabeth,

First off, thanks a million for sharing those remarkable photos with all of us.
Brian, when  I lived in Quito, Ecuador, I was not even aware of the garden!    Zantedeschia (an African native) was common as a plant around houses in the City.
Steve---when I lived and worked in Ecuador I was not at that time ''into'' aroids!
   A few comments on your photos, some of the plants illustrated, and some suggestions.
The photo bucket site was difficult for me, as there were MANY ''pop-ups'' which slowed me down considerably.   I suggest that, when time permits,  you sort the photos out into Ecuadorian natives and non-Ecuadorian aroids.
A label on the bottom of each thumb-nail would speed things up, as every time I saw a plant which I had a question about, I had to open the image to see what it was, and the pop-ups started!
Two plants in particular I would like additional info. on, IF possible. On page #10, photo #8 is labeled "P. bipinnatifidium, Super dwarf form".   It grows next to what look like a path of brick-type pavers, and I believe I saw another photo of the same plant on a later page?   Can you add anything to where the photos were taken, or any info. on where the plant originated?
Also, the last photo on pg. # 5 is labeled ''Philodendron adamantinum".   It is not this species, but this photo (and several others on the site) leads me to believe that sometime in the past the Ecuadorian/Quito Bot. Garden obtained seed, probably from Brazil, which was  labeled as P. adamantinum???   We believe this plant to be an extreme form of P. bipinnatifidium.  It ''matches'' photos in Graff`s OLD volumes of "Exotica", many of which by today`s standards were mislabeled using names and ID`s which are no longer correct, but in "Exotica'' are labeled as P. adamantinum.
It would be nice to see a couple photos of wild-collected (or photos taken in the field) of Anthurium andreanum (this species occurs in W. Ecuador!!), we could then compare these photos of Ecuadorian  ''natural'' plants to the ones illustrated on your site, all of which look to be the ''fancy'' vars. developed in Hawaii.  All of these ''fancy'' Anthuriums originated from this species which occurs in the wild only in W. Colombia and W. Ecuador.
Thanks again!   Keep up the good work.

 Elizabeth very impressive photos. I always enjoy seeing the plants in