Re: Aroid leaf regeneration??

  • Subject: Re: Aroid leaf regeneration??
  • From: Steve Marak <samarak@gizmoworks.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:21:42 -0500 (CDT)

Steve,

I hope (and expect) others to quickly chime in on this thread, but I have
often propagated various Amorphophallus from leaf cuttings, as have a
number of others. Kathy Upton and I had some discussion about this many
years ago, I think on Aroid-L, but I've not checked the archives. Even
with my fairly negligent approach, I had pretty good results, and Kathy
- whose technique is much better - was even able to root A. titanum
reliably.

This is not from an entire leaf, of course, only a segment of a leaf, but
there was no "stem" involved (as in how we typically propagate
Philodendron or the other vining genera), and I assume that's what you
mean. As with Gonatopus, if the segment roots, a small tuber will form at
the base of the leaf segment.

I have not tried rooting leaves or leaf segments of other aroid genera,
but wouldn't really be surprised to succeed with some. We should probably
run some tests.

The remarkable thing about Gonatopus boivinii, to me, is not just that a
single leaflet will produce a new plant, but that almost every one roots
without any special care, in almost any kind of environment from
semi-aquatic to fairly arid, and that they can apparently defy gravity,
because I find them in the strangest places.

Steve

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, ExoticRainforest wrote:

> I am again doing some digging as a result of an ongoing discussion with a
> group of growers.  It is the opinion of some that aroids can be induced
> to generate a totally new plant by placing growth hormone on the petiole
> of a leaf.  I have read all I can find and do not believe this
> information to be accurate.
>
>  From the text of The Genera of Araceae it appears the only two aroids
> that are capable of the regeneration of a new plant from a leaf are
> Zamioculcas zamiifolia and Gonotapus boivinii.  This unique ability is
> One gentleman appears to be insisting any of the other four Gonotapus
> species is capable of the same thing.  I have read and reread the section
> in TGOA on this subject and there is a mention of a few other aroids that
> produce bulblets at the juncture of the leaf and petiole but other
> Gonotapus are not mentioned. More from TGOA:
> Do any of the other four species of Gonotapus actually do leaf
> regeneration?  And if not, can any of our scientists give me a source of
> documentation as to  why leaf regeneration does not happen in aroids?  If
> any grower has obsserved this behavior, can you document it?

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com