Homalomena - what's the name of these fibers?

  • Subject: Homalomena - what's the name of these fibers?
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 02:17:10 +0200

I cut a stem of Homalomena (probably rubescens).
The stem was about 2 cm in diameter.
These wood-like fibers are very hard to cut or tear.
I know that they help the stem to stay in horizontal position and to be elastic
I have never seen such a structure in any other aroid's stem.
In leaves of Monsteroideae (except Amydrium) similar fibers are named trichosclereids,
What is their name in the stem? (photo attached)

Aroid-L mailing list