Re: Arum purpureospathum x Arum palaestinum seeds...Possibly?

  • Subject: Re: Arum purpureospathum x Arum palaestinum seeds...Possibly?
  • From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt@Vanderbilt.Edu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 20:59:03 +0000

Title: Re: [Aroid-l] Arum purpureospathum x Arum palaestinum seeds...Possibly?
Erin,

While it is possible that the fly/pollinator visited one species and then the other, it is also possible and perhaps more likely that the A. purpureospathum was self-pollinated by whatever visited the flowers.
Others will I expect certainly chime in here but I’ve never known many of the berry fruited aroids to have a long and healthy seed viability – they tend to need to be planted pretty quickly. Keeping them chilled but not freezing, and not letting the fruit shrivel too much or rot, all will help. I have no suggestions on preserving the viable seed for extended periods or removing them from the fruit – don’t know the genus that well. However, if you decide that you have some extra seeds...

Jonathan