Re: African aroids?

  • Subject: Re: African aroids?
  • From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum@gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:00:38 +0800

Hi Jason,

We have several Nephthytis in cultivation (afzelii, hallaeipoissonii, and swanei) raised from seed we acquired in early 2010. They germinated very easily and although initially slow growing, once they began to form their rhizome (after about one year) all became vigorous and very easy to maintain. Nephthytis swanei flowered for the first time last year (2 1/2 years from germination).

We also have Culcasia mannii and Cercestis dinklagei both acquired from a nursery in N Sumatera (!).

I have to say that I don't agree with Tom that African genera are hard to grow. Even under less than ideal glasshouse conditions Kew maintains a reasonably extensive collection of tropical African taxa, many of which (e.g., Culcasia, Stylochaeton) have been cultivated for decades. The majority are lowland to mid-elevation taxa and I am certain that were they given higher minimum temperatures they would be almost weedy.

Peter