Re: Fiction of bullate leaves

  • Subject: Re: Fiction of bullate leaves
  • From: Theodore Held <oppenhauser2001@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 11:22:34 -0400

Ah, an interesting post.

The reason for bullation is completely unknown to me. I do have several plants with bullated leaves, but they seem to grow (or not grow) regardless of that feature compared with similar species without bullation.

I remember asking this list once about green plant parts and whether or not being green indicates that photosynthesis takes place there. That is, are green stems, petioles, and such non-leaf-blade parts producing any photosynthetic products? I don't recall having seen an answer to that. It seems that a plant would not bother producing chlorophyll unless they contributed in some way, even if only marginally.

Another mechanical question that I have had since then may bear on bullation. That is, is there a fixed directionality to photon capture? For example, if a leaf gets turned upside down it generally dies if it cannot be righted in time. That suggests to me that even though the underside of the leaf is green, it cannot process light in order to pay its way, so to speak, in the plant's economy. That makes sense to me, but I'd be interested in a source that discusses the issue.

Thank you, Corey, for raising an interesting question.

Ted Held, Detroit, USA.