Re: Philodendron hardiness

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Avent <>
To: <>
Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 9:36 AM

Subject: Re: Philodendron hardiness
Dear Tony,
but was it "knocked back to the ground" by the low temps, and then it

>From the arctic climate of zone 7, I can relay some interesting info on
Phillodendron selloum.   When I worked for the State of NC in Raleigh, we
planted a Philodendron selloum out in one of our display beds, expecting it
to be an annual.  It still survives, some 12 years later.  The bed is not
protected...some years the plant is mulched, others not.  We have had at
least 2, and possibly three winters of 0F during that time.

Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
Raleigh, NC  27603  USA
Minnimum Winter Temps 0-5 F
Maximum Summer Temps 95-100F
USDA Hardiness Zone 7b
phone 919 772-4794
fax  919 662-0370
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it least
three times" - Avent<