Re: Helicodiceros

>I grow Helicodiceros here 'downunder' in temperate zone 9 climate.
It is a huge clump in a bed flanked by Dracunculus vulgaris and
Dracunculus canariensis. In early spring it is a sight and smell to
behold. 'Gothic' shock / horror gardening at its best.

Go to my mate Greg Ruckert's web site at :
http://www.ezi-learn.com.au/areae/default.html
and under the'photo album' section there is a photo of my plant
flowering at the end of the page.
Note the flies (they are big flies !) and this will give you an idea
of the size of the inflorescence.

Helicodiceros needs a hot dry summer rest and is spurred into growth
by our cool and wet autumn / winter.
That is probably why they don't flourish in Florida Julius.

cheers,
              Rob.

Rob.McClure
Biological Sciences
Monash University, Clayton 3168
Victoria
AUSTRALIA.
Phone:(03)9905.5625
Fax:(03)9905.5613
e-mail: Rob.McClure@sci.monash.edu.au<<

Dear Rob,
Thanks for the url, it worked fine for me, enjoyed all the great pictures!!
Will try Helicocideros again here in Florida, as I believe it will do OK if
kept dry in the hot summers, as out 'winters' can be quite cool.
Cheers and thanks again,
Julius