Re: Alocasia dormancy

I used to use tubers of an alocasia (more or less A. amazonica) as a
demonstration of dormancy in a plant propagation class. Someone had once told
me that the little dry scale leaves at the tip of the tuber were inhibitory
to growth, so I would carefully remove those until the little new
whitish/pinkish/greenish bud was exposed. Planted in my usual "interior
plant" mix, it usually worked like a charm - close to 100% starting into
growth in a few weeks versus perhaps 10% in the "control" unpeeled group.

I do this as a matter of course now, and get good growth on most of the
common types that I have. All of this is in South Florida, so warm and wet is
a given for us unless we work hard to avoid it.