Re: Alocasia dormancy

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Alocasia dormancy
  • From: "Bonaventure W Magrys" <magrysbo@shu.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:04:16 -0600 (CST)

What are your winter temps? Do you grow any Arisaema, especially the more
tender
to subtropical species, there? Would like to know your successes. Alocasia
(=Colocasia???) 'Black Velvet'?
Bonaventure Magrys
Elizabeth, NJ

"Jay Vannini" <interbnk@infovia.com.gt> on 03/11/2000 11:12:47 PM
Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

To:  Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
cc:  (bcc: Bonaventure W Magrys/ADM/SHU)

I most definitely concur with Mr. Kozminski's comments viz a vis light
levels and Alocasia sp. 'Black Velvet'. Grow mine outside here (cool
Guatemalan highlands) and they do fine as long as they are kept in deep
shade. Ditto for A. sp. 'Elaine'. Interestingly, same conditions for A.
guttata 'Imperialis' resulted in die-back/dormancy during the winter - just
now starting to come back to life. Dewey might have a different take on all
this, though. His shadehouse plants looked great late last summer. Cultural
conditions in S. Florida may permit higher light levels to be acceptable for
some forest understory Alocasia spp..

J. Vannini
interbnk@infovia.com.gt