Giant alocasias etc.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Giant alocasias etc.
  • From: toeric@ev1.net
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:49:59 -0600 (CST)

   I hope I do not anger anybody but please forgive my newcomer question.  I am
sure this has been asked a hundred times.   I love giant plants and would
love to
find some alocasias, colocasias and xanthosomas that are really true
giants!   I
keep running across this photos of little tiny people in front of giant,
alocasias with huge leaves!
   Of course I need to be able to find the plant so if you all could
suggest not
only the beautiful giants but also ones that are not too hard to find.   I have
heard that Alocasia odora and A. macrorrhiza are real large and I also read a
reference to Xanthosoma sagittaefolium saying it grows to great heights.  Have
not found anything on giant colocasias yet.  Thank you all so much for your
and I hope this is not too beginner a question for this list.
Eric,  (southeast Texas, zone 8b)