Re: common elephant ears

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: common elephant ears
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:43:57 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: toeric@ev1.net <toeric@ev1.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2000 10:55 PM
Subject: common elephant ears

  Dear Eric,

NEVER any anger with wonderful newcomers like yourself to our list!

The ones I have seen for sale at Wal Mart, K Mart, etc.are a generally var.
of Colocasia esculenta, but sometimes the photo on the packet shows a
Xanthosoma leaf!!!!  Good luck in your quest!   The problem with BIG plants
is that not many produce seeds, and so shipping giant rhizomes is
difficult!!   Xanthosoma sagittifolia is available in most groceries, sold
as 'malanga blanca', and will get HUGE (over 6-8') if left to grow without a
dormant period.   Make SURE what you buy is the 'blanca', not the 'lilac',
which is X. violacium, a beautiful plant also, but only 4' or so.   Check
the growing ends of the rhizomes at the grocery, 'blanca' will have whitish
flesh, 'lila' will have reddish flesh.
Good luck,

>Sorry, another beginner question.  Just out of curiosity does anyone
know what
genera and species the common elephant ear is?   I am talking about the one
can buy dormant at any Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes.  Thanks again.
Eric,  (southeast Texas, zone 8b)<