Re: Florida Arisaema.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: Florida Arisaema.
  • From: Iza & Carol Goroff <goroff@idcnet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:48:02 -0600 (CST)

Julius Boos wrote:

> Yesterday I came across a seemingly natural population of an Arisaema sp. in
> Hobe Sound, just N. of Jupiter on the E. Coast of Florida.    This is way
> South of where I had read they occur, which was I believe somewhere around
> Gainesville, N. Florida.    It is in a tidal bog just W. of the
> intercoastal, around Condos. 'A' and 'B' of a development called 'Loblolly
> Bay', built on stilts over this black, wet smelly soil, sand fly infested
> swamp!!!   A LOT were in bloom, the plants varied in size from 12" or so up
> to 3 - 4 feet!   I know that there are two species recorded from Florida, A.
> dracontium and A. triphyllium ( ? ), any know how I can tell the
> difference??

A. dracontium has multiple leaflets/leaf; A.triphyllum has but three. A.
dracontium ("Green Dragon") has a very narrow green spathe; Aa triphyllum has
the usual "Jack-in-the-pulpit" shape. Its spathe can be striped or not, green or
yellow or brown or red or purple.

Iza Goroff
Whitewater Wisconsin USA zone 4b