Re: S. Florida Arisaema.= A. triphyllum.

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: S. Florida Arisaema.= A. triphyllum.
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:52:44 -0600 (CST)

-----Original Message-----
From: George R Stilwell, Jr. <grsjr@juno.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 12:18 PM
Subject: Re: Florida Arisaema.

Dear Ray (and all you other friends who so kindly sent me information!),

All the plants that I saw had trisect leaves, so it must be A. triphyllum!
I will look more closely the next time I visit the area and see if I spot
plants with more leaf divisions, and MAYBE try for photos!   No Petra, I did
not have a camera and did not get spicimens, but can!   Do these plants go
completely dormant, and when can I expect that to occur, maybe later in the
hotter summer?   I also saw several blooms that looked like they might
develop infructesences!
My comp. can not handle the files you mention, but thanks for the offer.

Thanks again all, I will keep you info`d!

Julius Boos

A. dracontium is distinguishable by its single compound leaf with 7-12
leaflets, its small green sheathing, and its long-caudate spadix

A. triphyllum is 3 foliate. There are several ssp. which vary greatly in
size and other characteristics.
However, A. triphyllum ssp quinatum (Buckley) Hutt., which has a very
restricted range in the deep south and is found only in Georgia, northern
Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, is penta-foliate.  It grows
in moist, shaded situations.  It tends to be smaller than the other
subspecies and its leaves are usually glaucous beneath and penta-foliate
though they are sometimes tri-foliate or lack gaucescense.  The spathe
tube is smooth and topped by broad, flaring, but not depressed flanges.
The spathe blade is unmarked green and oval or orbicular with an abruptly
apiculate tip.  The cylindrical spadix appendix is very slender and
curved toward the opening of the spathe.  Its chromosome number is 28.

Yours sound too big to be ssp. quinatum but it's the only American
species that is penta-foliate so it
is easy to spot.

If you can handle WordPerfect files, I can send you Huttleston's KEY to
A. triphyllum which
also comments on the other two North American species.