Re: Help with Amorphophallus & Sauromatum

  • Subject: Re: Help with Amorphophallus & Sauromatum
  • From: "Plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 22:16:43 -0600 (CST)

Typhonium venosum is definitely very hardy in my area of northeast
Tennessee (Zone 6a).  I've never lost any out in open ground that
were buried more than 3" deep.  The only ones that I've ever lost
were young tubers that fell off of the main tubers when they're
being divided and have ended up near the surface.  I typically plant
the tubers at least 4" deep to be safe and rarely mulch them.   I
usually don't try to test A. konjac due to it's price but have had a
few to overwinter in the ground that fell away from the main culm
when they were dug in the Autumn.  I know of one fellow in my area
that has an absolutely huge clump of them that has overwintered them
successfully in the ground by mulching with a deep pile of leaves.
Good luck!

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN
Where it's supposed to get down to 18°F tonight! (currently 33°F at
13:15 EST)
Goodbye Bradford Pear blossoms (in full bloom no less)