Re: Thai Beauty Caladium

  • Subject: Re: Thai Beauty Caladium
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:13:01 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: Plantsman <plantsman@prodigy.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 1:03 AM
Subject: Thai Beauty Caladium

Dear David,

I first came across this one when I worked for a short while at a Nursery
here in WPB, Florida, and to me it sure LOOKED the same as a variety that
either used to be grown or is grown by the folks at Lake Placid, Florida
that I used to buy, I THINK it was named 'Pink Fantasy'.    'Thai Beauty'
(strap-leaf C. schomburgkii type, some transparent pink areas) is a nice
plant, said to produce large tubers every year, and if kept warm and moist
not to go 'deeply dormant'.
On this note, my 'Florida Sweetheart' Caladiums, THE most beautiful that I
have seen, have disapointed this year, (so far, it is a little early) they
seem to have been ravaged by nematodes during the dormancy in my plant beds,
while 'Gingerland' seem to have been unaffected and have come in and UP with
a vengance!    What a beautiful variety of Caladium!

Best Wishes,

>>I received an email today from TropicalGardening.com about a new
caladium variety called "Thai Beauty".  I've never seen anything
that looked like this before.  Is anyone familiar with this
variety?  Here's a link to the website with a great picture:

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN  (Zone 6a)<<