Re: Thai Beauty Caladium

  • Subject: Re: Thai Beauty Caladium
  • From: Chapman <chapman@premier.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:18:17 -0600 (CST)

The variety shown looks like Hough Long, one of the more common of the
tons of thai caladium, its also one of the few that has a known name,
and one that could be used by english speakers as well, and now its
renamed...go figure.  there is a tremendous amount of color forms and
leaf forms of the thai caladium, some very bizarre and different than
the standard florida types.  Unfortunately, some of the prettiest ones
are variegated sports (on top of an already patterned leaf) and don't
tissue culture well.  The hough long is seen all over thailand, and many
nurseries are producing it.

hope this helps,

Tim Chapman