Re: Thai Beauty Caladium

  • Subject: Re: Thai Beauty Caladium
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:05:36 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: <StellrJ@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 3:24 PM

In a message dated Mon, 25 Mar 2002  1:04:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
"Plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net> writes:

Since it is said to have been developed in Thailand, I doubt we shall ever
know it`s exact parentage.   It does contain mainly Caladium schomburgkii
genes, a species which is found in the wild (see photos of several 'forms'
of this on Paul Resslar`s web page linked to the Mobot aroid site) The
species has tear-drop shaped leaves with no sinus.   Dewey Fsik has a VERY
strong form of this collected in the wild in Venezuela by Ralph, our eldest
IAS member!!  He also has several other wild collected species Caladiums
which are my passion.    I highly recomend them to everyone.
'Thai Beauty' could be confused with 'Pink Fantasy' which was produced and
is grown in Lake Placid,
Florida.   'Thai Beauty' may have more 'crossing' bars.

Julius> I received an email today from TropicalGardening.com about a new
> caladium variety called "Thai Beauty".  I've never seen anything
> that looked like this before

When I saw the picture, my immediate impression was of a 'Candidum' with
pink added.  Is 'Candidum' one of its parents?

Jason Hernandez