[aroid-l] TitanWatch

  • Subject: [aroid-l] TitanWatch
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:55:55 -0500

I thought I would give you a heads up...

'Mr. Stinky' aka Amorphophallus titanum is starting to grow after this winter's dormancy. 'Alice the Amorphophallus', another Titan, is also emerging. I don't, yet, know if they will produce an inflorescence or a leaf, but there is a good chance for a flowering. Neither bloomed last year, and the tubers have gained a lot of weight. In the past several have bloomed  after skipping only one year. Could there be a double blooming? I tingle with excitement just thinking of it. It these are blooms, we will try to get an better web cam setup than we had last year. I will keep you posted.

'Mr. Stinky' tuber size 22" and 76 lbs.; emerged 3/17/03
'Alice'  tuber size, 19" and 57lbs.; emerged 3/24/03

Also of interest are all the other species of Amorphophallus coming into bloom. 7 different A. tinekeae (the exotic black striped species in last years aroid show, formerly labeled as A. lambii), 2 A. variabilis, 2 A. lewallei, and of course 1 of the magnificent Amorphophallus gigas. The A. gigas is already 4 foot tall and growing over 6" each day.

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road