[aroid-l] variegation causes

  • Subject: [aroid-l] variegation causes
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 12:15:30 -0500

I've gotten several emails from potential aroid bidders about the cause
of variegation on my ebay listing for Amorphophallus konjac 'Shattered
Glass'

The reason I am 99.99% sure it is not a virus is

the plant arose as a bud sport on a side shoot and no other siblings
ever had the trait

the plant gives rise to lethal white, all green, or variegated corms
indicating segregation of a genetic mosaic NOT a virus which would not
segregate into different cormels

I have tried infecting other green amorphophallus with cell sap of
Shattered Glass and it does not work.

Even the spathe shows some variegation

For the total story and many photos see
http://www.exoticfinches.com/plants/amorphfront.htm