Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"
  • From: <rnranimals@zoomtown.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:52:26 -0500

Hello,
Ric here.
I've been lurking until a topic popped up I'm familiar w/.
I've grown both Black Magic for four years and Black Runner for two years now.
I totally agree w/ Brian on the ruffles on Runner and it seems they will run at the first sign of being pot bound.
I have one in a 6" pot running now in the plant room at 10" tall.
They also hold color much better at lower light.

Our Black Magic doesn't run here in Cincinnati until late in the season. In fact the first two years they didn't run until just before they went dormant.

Our Black Runner main plant (mother?) didn't go dormant at all this winter, it just slowed down, and is still pupping.

Ric

> From: Harry Witmore <harrywitmore@witmore.net>
> Date: 2004/03/14 Sun AM 08:04:57 EST
> To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
> Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"
>
> Dean, I believe these are 2 different species that happen to look allot
> alike. I have heard the one that produces runners called Black Runner, but
> I'm not sure if that's a correct name or not.
>
> At 10:32 PM 3/13/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Can any of you aroid experts answer the following question about the
> >"Black Magic" colocasia?
> >I grow it in So California and also in Hawaii. The leafs look identical to
> >me in both locations so I always assumed they are the same species.
> >However, when grown in California it "suckers" only right next to the base
> >of the mother plant. The suckers are so close it is even hard to split off
> >the "pups." In Hawaii it sends out long runners (3-5 feet long) with a
> >plantlet on the end like I have seen other Colocasias do. But the "Black
> >Magic" I grow in California has never sent out a runner. And the one I
> >grow in Hawaii only seldom suckers close by.
> >Are there two different species of "Black Magic" or is this difference in
> >growth due only to climate?
> >Thanks for any feedback,
> >Dean
> >

> >---