Re: [aroid-l] A. titanum on eBay

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. titanum on eBay
  • From: "Alex Burgess" <alexcburgess@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:06:22 -1000

Thank you very much!

FWIW the seller, one Alasdair Macleod, a.k.a. Gothiclion1, claims "These leaflefts have been grown from bulbs and are therefore more hardy than those grown from tissue culture." From what I have read of previous threads, you are the expert on this subject, so I will trust your view. I already paid $40, which seems quite a bit less than others have asked for the titanum (and is why I purchased) although it could be high for a more common type. I can't back out of the transaction, so I will try to grow the amorphophallus, with fingers and now toes crossed, and later I should be able to show a better picture of a more mature plant. The plant has not yet arrived....

Thank you again,

Alex

From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid (prive)" <hetter@worldonline.nl>

They look as if they could be titanums but they are whimpy specimens!
Normally seedlings of titanum have straight petioles with broad leaflets
from the start. These look unhealthy with deformed leaflets and petioles. It
might mean that they are not real titanums but it is not really visible from
the picture. I'd be careful not to pay too much for a possible
disappointment.

Cheerio,
Wilbert