Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph seeds + subtropical

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Amorph seeds + subtropical
  • From: Paul Tyerman ptyerman@ozemail.com.au
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:09:07 +1000

At 09:20  27/03/05, you wrote:
Dear all;
Slightly off topic, Rare Palm Seeds (http://www.rarepalmseeds.com) is currently selling Amorphophallus paeoniifolius seeds at $11 per 100 wholesale. More expensive in small packets of 10. Cheap enough to do some experimenting.

This is a very reliable company and of interest to anyone with a leaning to tropical/subtropical plants.
Howdy Jim et al,

For any of you interested in the Amorph Paeoniifolius seed that Jim mentioned..... according to the Aroid Hardiness List on the Aroid Society website ( http://www.aroid.org/horticulture/hardy.html )
Am. paeoniifolius will take down to zone 7 (2'F) so might be a bit more than just tropical/subtropical people who can grow it.

Out of interest what actually IS the definition of subtropical? I've always thought of it as much warmer than Zone 7, but I honestly have no idea what exactly the term means. The only reason I am pointing the hardiness out is just that it might interest more people as it is a little hardier than many might believe?

Of course I could be entirely wrong and everyone else already knows that it will take those sorts of temps. If so then I apologise profusely for wasting your time.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia. USDA equivalent - Zone 8/9

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Trilliums, Cyclamen, Crocus, Cyrtanthus, Oxalis, Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that doesn't move!!!!!