[Aroid-l] Aroidia Research announcement

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Aroidia Research announcement
  • From: LARIANN GARNER AROIDIAN@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:11:58 -0500

RE: Alocasia 'calodora' and/or 'portidora'

This information is directed toward those readers who have one or both of the above two Alocasia hybrids in their collections and/or nurseries.

I am LariAnn Garner, the Director of Aroidia Research, http://aroidiaresearch.org , and the Alocasia x calidora (aka "calodora", "caladora", "persian palm") and Alocasia x portora (aka "portidora", "portadora", "portodora") are two of our earliest hybrids, released to the trade in the early 1980s. Because Aroidia Research was inactive for a number of years after the release of those plants, we were unaware of the extent to which these plants have been propagated, sold, and distributed throughout the world. Now that Aroidia Research has resumed full activity, we have become aware of the widespread distribution and acceptance of these two plants, and we have decided to provide this information about their true origin and nomenclature to all those who own, are selling, or are propagating these plants.

Since our nomenclature for these plants was published in the journal of the International Aroid Society (the International Cultivar Registration Authority (ICRA) for aroids), Vol. 6, No. 3, July 1983, before they were released to the horticultural trade, the original published grex names we gave these hybrids take precedence over any other names that collectors, marketers, distributors and/or growers have attributed to them subsequently. This is in accordance with the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (Saint Louis Code), Appendix 1, Article H.4.1.

Therefore, we ask that you make the necessary change(s) in reference to these plants to reflect both the valid nomenclature and the true origin of these two plants. Our only remuneration from the wide distribution of these plants will be that the correct naming and origin is known and used by all who own, sell, distribute, or propagate them.

To recap, the Alocasias being sold as "calodora", "caladora" and/or "persian palm" are really our Alocasia x calidora, and the Alocasias being sold as "portidora", "portadora" or "portodora" are really our Alocasia x portora.

Thank you for your consideration and attention to these matters.

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research
Aroid-l mailing list