Re: [Aroid-l] Aroids on Currency

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Aroids on Currency
  • From: "Abrimaal" abrimaal@wp.pl
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:50:16 +0100

ALocasia longiloba?

Marek

----- Original Message ----- From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail@hctc.com>
To: <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:53 PM
Subject: [Aroid-l] Aroids on Currency

A couple of years ago, I was in Brunei Darussalam for a
couple of days (too bad I didn't get to see any of its rain
forests!).  On Brunei's banknotes, on the obverse is
(naturally) the portrait of the sultan to the right, and an
image of a local plant to the left.  On the reverse is a
tropical rain forest scene.  I noticed that the keladi lanut
(purple leaved forest yam) depicted on the 10-ringgit note
looked a lot like an Aroid.  After a web search using the
keyword: forest yam, I came up with a possible
identification as Alocasia zebrina.  Images of that species
on the web do look like the one on the banknote, but I did
not see any with purple leaves.  Here is a link to a site
showing Brunei currency; see if you concur with the i.d.:
http://www.polymernotes.org/country_pages/BRN.htm

I enjoyed reading the Aroideana articles on philately
(stamps); I wonder if there are any numismatists among us
who have seen other aroids on currency?

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large