RE: [Aroid-l] G. de Montrichard

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] G. de Montrichard
  • From: "Julius Boos" ju-bo@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:30:19 +0000

From : 	MJ Hatfield <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
Sent : Monday, March 6, 2006 3:09 PM
To : "aroid-l" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : [Aroid-l] G. de Montrichard

Dear MJ,

Guy de Montrichard lived in Trinidad, W. I., and was a friend of H. Cruger (with an umlaut over the "u", and sometimes spelt w/ a "K")who was from Germany, and was the then curator of the Botanical Gardens in Port of Spain, Trinidad, W.I. Cruger described the genus in 1894 from material/specimens collected by Guy de Montrichard, I believe in E. Trinidad. The friends had dreams of this giant swamp 'weed' being a source of raw material/fiber for the commercial manufacture of paper, and several samples were collected and (I believe) shipped to and tested in the U.K. I believe the tests were not sucessful as a paper source. There are many 'Montrichards' still living in Trinidad, I photographed a gasoline/propane depot bearing the family name the last time I visited.
Do you have Montrichardia (two species) in cultivation??
I hope this helps.

Good Growing,

In ‘The Genera of Araceae” it says that Monrichardia is named after G. de Montrichard. Can anyone tell me who G. de Montrichard was?

MJ Hatfield<<

Aroid-l mailing list

Aroid-l mailing list