[Aroid-l] Another few Amorphophallus titanum seedling queries

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Another few Amorphophallus titanum seedling queries
  • From: ted.held@us.henkel.com
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:38:50 -0500

What happens to the titanum inflorescence after maturity? Does the thing just whither into mush or are the seeds borne on a stalk for some time afterward? How are the seeds dispersed? Is there edible flesh surrounding the seed? If so, how does the seed prevent getting scratched and otherwise attacked when the flesh is eaten? Are seedlings of titanum just distributed closely around the parent?

I suppose these questions pertain to all our species. But the titanum example is interesting for me beause of the size of the seeds. I always find myself brimming with questions.
Aroid-l mailing list