[Aroid-l] RE:Dr.'s Croat, Goncalves, Pete Boyce---

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] RE:Dr.'s Croat, Goncalves, Pete Boyce---
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:06:13 +0000

From : 	Eduardo Goncalves <edggon@hotmail.com>
Sent : 	Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:31 PM
To : 	aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject : 	RE: [Aroid-l] Philodendron 'Santa Leopoldina'

Dear Tom, Eduardo, Pete, Alistair, Wilbert, etc.,

I think it fitting that on behalf of all the members of aroid-l, that we just say a simple word of thanks to all the professionals, a few of whom I have mentioned above (forgive me those of you who I have not mentioned!) who take time from their busy lives and professional duties to share some of their hard-learned knowledge with us who do this 'plant thing' just as hobby. I can only hope that all of us 'out there' recognize what a valuable resource aroid-l provides to all of us who seek information on this group of plants we so love, to have persons of this caliber literally at our fingertips to respond where possible to our questions!
Thanks again, friends.

Dear Ted,

We visited Robert Kautsky, the original collector of the nomenclatural type of P. spiritus-sancti. He gave the plant George Bunting described. We observed the cultivated specimen he still keeps on his farm (from which dry specimens were prepared) and we spotted similar material around. We have been collecting in Espirito Santo state for years and we could only found this species in Kautsky's farm. Obviously we used classic taxonomic characters to ID it, including sections on flowers. That was not that hard because there is no other species that could be REALLY confused with P. spiritus-sancti, although you can confuse many species under the popular "loose" definition of "Santa Leopoldina". Right now we are using clones of the type specimen to make a profile based on the "DNA barcode" concept, in order to make identifications of P. spiritus-sancti more reliable. Unfortunately, the "real" identity of P. "Santa Leopoldina" will be hard to find out, mainly because you can't extract DNA from an horticultural legend!

     Very best wishes,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas