[Aroid-l] Speak to me, Joe

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Speak to me, Joe
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 17:20:48 -0400

Joe,

For those of us like me with the retention span of a gnat, to which particular suggestion from Dr Hay do you refer? If it is the one to get a fire lit under the registration process by taking a very pragmatic approach to data collection, I am all for it. One of the hurdles that I don’t know how to cross on getting the registration started is that even the small lists of cultivars which have been produced by the society from time to time need each entry to be checked for place of publication (if such exists). Only those that have appeared in print, of course, can be considered for registration according to the International Code.

If a form like that outlined by Dr. Hay comes into being, his entry “Name established” asking for a place of publication (if there is not the regular annual feature in Aroideana set up as he suggests) is of vital importance for when the ‘online register’ converts to a proper Registration Authority list.

I feel that his suggestion is a great step forward in getting this under discussion and finally perhaps into action.

Derek