Re: [Aroid-l] Syngonium setting seed in S. Florida

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Syngonium setting seed in S. Florida
  • From: Adam Black <epiphyte1@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:34:35 -0500

I remember seeing fruiting Syngonium podophyllum regularly in our yard in Miami when I was a kid, and even more recently I recall fruiting plants in my mom's yard in the Orlando area - and all this time I have never thought much of it. I can't say I ever noticed anything I would call a seedling, but then again I never really paid attention. I'll have to start watching the many Syngoniums at my mom's new property. Surely others in south and central Florida have made the same observations?

Adam

Tom Croat wrote:
Julius:

	This is an interesting observation because if these genera are
being pollinated in Florida it means that some local pollinator has
learned how to do it and thus they could simply go native in Florida.
This would make a good paper if one could collect the pollinators.

Tom

Tom Croat, P. A. Schulze Curator of Botany
Missouri Botanical Garden
Box 299, St. Louis, Missouri 63116
(314) 577-5163
Thomas.Croat@mobot.org