[Aroid-l] Natural hybrid???

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Natural hybrid???
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 05:17:57 +0000

From : 	Windy Aubrey <exotics@hawaii.rr.com>
Sent : 	Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:43 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	[Aroid-l] Fw: Natural hybrid

Dear Windy,

The attached photos are fine this time, thanks.
I`ll need opinions from others on this, but I believe that the plant you may think is Colocasia gigantia may in fact be a species of the Neotropical genus Xanthosoma, NOT a Colocasia sp. Also, what you think might be a hybrid may in fact be a seedling of your Alocasia cuculata. My reasoning is that this species is well known for its MANY leaf variations that sometimes occur spontaniously, so this may just be a plant that grew from seed dropped by your parent plants, or even an off-shoot which has mutated producing leaves of a slightly different shape and texture. The count of veins of the anterior lobe of the leaf blade ( 4 per side), in fact all the veins of the suspected hybrid, closely match your A. cuculata, just the shape is different. The anterior lobes of the leaves in your photo of what I believe to be a species of Xanthosoma have 10+ plus veins per side. Have you seen blooms of the smaller plant as yet?? An examination of the spadix will give additional information. Also see if the suspected Xanthosoma has blooms, as the spathes of Xanthosoma are VERY different to Alocasia OR Colocasia.

The Best,

Julius

Hi again,

First let me apologize for the problem with the images I included with the information re: this different looking plant. I have just replace my old laptop with a new one that is running Vista. To be truthful, I am a better grower than I am using this machine. I learned from a friend (thanks again Steve) that the images needed to be compress and was helped me with that. So let me do this again, hopefully with less aggravation to those of you with dial up.

The images include two of this plant in question(004 & 002), one image of Colocasia gigantea(001), and one image of Alocasia cuculata(005). The images, 001 and 005 are included for you to compare.

I sure hope this work this time.

Windy<<