Re: [Aroid-l] Natural Hybrid/ Alocasia cucullata (Lour) G. Don

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Natural Hybrid/ Alocasia cucullata (Lour) G. Don
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:42:35 -0700

I highly suspect you'll find the Alocasia cucullata clone which Tony Avent has
under cultivation in North Carolina (available thru PDN) to be of great interest.

Look familiar-?!!

I was so convinced a layout error had occurred when I first came across this
image that I sent Tony an email, about a month ago, suggesting someone had
swapped his images of A. cucullata and A. odora.  Here follows Tony's reply*:

"I checked the images and believe it or not, they are not reversed.  Our oldest clumps of A. cucculata changed appearance dramatically as they matured to look more like a dwarf clump of A. odora that what we typically think of as A. cucculata.  We were quite surprised, but the two photos of A. cuculata are the same clone...just several years apart.  If you look close you'll see few immature leaves toward the top and note that even the mature leaves still have the characteristic twisted tip of A. cuculata.  The plant pictured as A. odora is actually correct also, although it is photographed early in the season.  I wouldn't believe this either unless I'd seen the plants in person and took the photos.  Both id's have been confirmed in person by quite a few aroid authorities."

Are we witnessing a spontaneous mutation, coincidentally occurring 7,700km
and an ocean apart?  Is this particular variation genetically encoded in one or
more lines of Alocasia cucullata, i.e. do these two individual plants in HI and NC
somehow share common ancestry?  I leave it to finer minds than my own to decipher.

*TA: my apologies for posting this without your prior permission...