Re: [Aroid-l] Natural Hybrid

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Natural Hybrid
  • From: "Windy Aubrey" <exotics@hawaii.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:23:59 -1000

Title: Message
Thanks to Dennis and everyone else who set me on the right track.   The one image is Xanthosoma, not an Colocasia, my mistake.
Now I think what Denis is telling me might be the case here.  I don't have any real idea where or what it came from.  I only know that I never planted it and have never seen anything similar to it in the surrounding area before last summer.  Next to A. cuculata, the 'thing's' blades look giant and it's still a young plant.  I didn't think about that, but it could be a chromosome thing.  You're right.
It was suggested that it might be the Alocasia odora 'Indian', and although it does look similar, I think it is a little different at least at this stage.
I'll post another image of this 'thing' in a few months, next to something for a size comparison.  If it continues to pucker like it is doing now it will be really sharp plant to get into cultivation.
I'm new to this forum, and have had a blast contributing and learning.
Thanks again,  Windy Aubrey