Initiation of Flowering in Amorphophallus

  • Subject: Initiation of Flowering in Amorphophallus
  • From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat@mobot.org>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:04:57 -0500

Fellow Aroiders:

            My Director is anxious that we flower Amorphophallus titanum which we have had here for many years.  It has always been an embarrassment that we, among all the institutions in the world practically, have not flowered this species even though we have had the species from the earliest days.  Anyway, I am now asking for advice from those of you who have flowered this species if you know of any way it can be induced to flower. I know that many of you do not actually want your plants of Amorphophallus to flower but if you have any ideas about what would induce these “lazy” plants of mine to flower (short of killing it) please let me know.

Tom Croat