Re: Gibberellic Acid

  • Subject: Re: Gibberellic Acid
  • From: E Morano <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:42:20 -0700 (PDT)

Also I might add that you should not use GA3 on any plants that develop from bulbs or corms or on the bulbs them selves. GA3 has been know to kill these types of plants. I would recommend using Indole acetic acid on these types of plants perhaps but dont be surprised if your flowers mutate. Indole acetic acid (IAA) is an auxin plant hormone, and it is the most active auxin. ndole acetic acid (IAA) stimulates the growth of the main stem. Indole acetic acid is also involved in helping cuttings generate new roots. It is these root developing properties that may benefit these plants.

Also you may want to try Indole Butyric Acid. Indole Butyric Acid is the leading plant hormone used to promote the formation of roots in plants and to generate new roots in the cloning of plants through cuttings.

Then there is Naphthalene Acetic Acid. Naphthalene Acetic Acid can significantly increase the number, length and dry weight of root hairs, small roots and large roots.
You can find all these products and more from http://www.super-grow.biz
Theres a yahoo user group that is associated with that site that you can join too.

ted.held@us.henkel.com wrote:

For what it's worth I would be reluctant to use gibberellic acid (available in the trade as "GA3", most commonly). I had a reluctant plant (Cryptocoryne, of course, which means it's small plant compared with the typical plant discussed on this list) and gave it a GA3 treatment (the formula for which I can send if you want to know - just contact me off-list). I just added it dropwise to the meristem, a drop or two every day for a week. Sure enough the plant flowered about a month later, after no flowers at all for more than a decade.

Noting how unusual the flower looked I took a number of pictures with my dissecting microscope so I would have the flower anatomy preserved. Rather than the normal aroid shape, this flower looked like a shepherd's crook. The sides of the flower "kettle" were very weak, almost transparent.

The plant made another flower a few weeks later and the second flower was also distorted-looking compared with normal Crypts, but a little stronger than the first one. I documented that inflorescence as well.

Finally, about six months later I got another flower from the plant and this one looked like a typical C. wendtii, the most common type of Sri Lankan Crypts that aquarists keep. I concluded that this was just a wendtii type that is indifferent to sexual reproduction under my conditions. Others in the wendtii complex flower for me all the time without any encouragement.

It has been several years now since this experience and I have gotten no additional flowers, from the original plant or any of its clone siblings.

In short, I think GA3 can induce flowering, but I am not sure that what you get will be representative of the species. From what I learned from the web, there is not much certainty about formulations, strength of GA3 to use, or application. This is the same situation with several other growth hormones (including the famous 2-4 D, used as a broad-leaf weed killer) that you see discussed in the casual press.

For Crypts, at least, I think flowering is not obligatory and may even be degenerate in some forms. But there is certainly a set of conditions that kick a plant into flowering and others that make it passive. It would be of great interest scientifically (and to horticulturists) to know what these conditions are.

I don't use my GA3 anymore.

Ted.