Growing Aroids in Planted Ripariums

Hello Everyone, I haven't been back to this thread in a while, but I now
have a few updates for my tanks.

I had a riparium planting going in a 50-gallon tank that was looking very
nice. I began to dismantle it just the other day because the plants were
getting a bit overgrown and I wanted to use several of them for
propagation. I have a few pictures of it here from the last few weeks when
it was looking very good.

Here is a view of the emergent plants from above.

This is a side view that illustrates the positioning of the plants pretty

The tall grassy plants are the umbrella sedge, Cyperus alternifolis var.
gracilis. The floating mat is comprised mainly of Bacopa madagascariensis
and Limnophila aromatica. These two light stem plants are usually grown as
underwater aquarium plants, but with an adaptation period they also do
well as emergents.

Without question the star of this tank has been the Cyrtosperma
johnstonii. The newest leaf on this plant has this stunning pink and gold

The younger leaves were just a darker green with read veination. This
plant is getting to be too large for this setup. I have pulled most of the
other plants out of the tank, but I will leave this one in place for a
while longer. This newest leaf shot up to about 2' (60cm) and I suspect
that the next will be 3' or more. Where will I put this beautiful

Aroid-L mailing list