Re: Amorphophallus identification request

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus identification request
  • From: "Alan Galloway" <alan_galloway@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:43:49 -0400

Looks like Am. prainii,

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian O'Brien
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:44 PM
To: Aroid-L@www.gizmoworks.com
Subject: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus identification request

Hello All,
    I walked into our college greenhouse today to check on some hot
pepper plants from Ghana that I have growing there (a story of their
own), and noticed a fragrance.  It had rotten egg and
more-than-usually-smoth fecal notes.  The source was an Amorphophallus
inflorescence.  This was an unexpected first-bloom flowering of a plant
from a seed from James Symon (barring errors, which are unlikely within
our local context).  The seeds were originally identified as A. gigas,
sent along with A. titanum seeds.
    Assistance with identification will be much appreciated (I'm
assuming that it's not A. gigas).  Here's a link to photos on Flickr:

Aroid-L mailing list

Aroid-L mailing list