Re: Anth. tilarenense

At 09:16 AM 3/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>A. eximium, A. luteynii, A. upalense and A. willifordii have cataphylls
>which dry persistant ( All sec. Pachneurium).

Thomas, Thank you for the reply. But I must point out what the discriptions
of these plants say about their " persistant catyphylls".

In Croat & Sheffer's "The Sectional Groupings of Anthurium" under the
description of section Calomystrium it is stated in regards to
catyphylls..." Probably the most easily observed characteristic of the
section is the presence of persistent cataphylls which usually dry
reddish-brown to brown and REMAIN INTACT.In other sections cataphylls are
usually either deciduous or weather into fibers".

You are right that the above mentioned species having cataphylls which DRY
intact, but they soon become deciduous or weather into fibers.
I checked The Revision of Anthurium Section Pachyneurium by Croat and for
all the species you mentioned the catyphylls dry intact but do not remain
that way for long. ( If you do not have this revision it is online at the
IAS site.)

Besides there is no way to confuse a Pachyneurium with any other section
due to the involute vernation of the leaf.