Fw: Germinating Dracontium

-----Original Message-----
From: Betsytrips@aol.com <Betsytrips@aol.com>
To: ju-bo@email.msn.com <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 5:04 PM

Subject: Re: Germinating Dracontium

Dear Aroidophiles and especially Wilbert,
Betsy has kindly given her permission to post her letter to me (below) on
the 'L'.
This is the only report of sucessful germination of Dracontium seed that I
know of at this time, and is important as MANY attempts have been made, and
none germinated as far as I am aware.
I have tried several times, on damp and wet sand, in wet and damp sphagnum,
etc., with no results.
Dr. Hay`s suggestion of 'scaring' the testa might work, as perhaps the fruit
are swallowed by birds or mammals whose stomach acids may weaken the hard
testa, but in most other seed of this group, the seedling emerges from a
hole in the seed`s very hard testa, so the testa does not need to split.
This is presently occuring in a group of Anaphyllopsis americana seed, a
close 'cousin' to the genus Dracontium, which are germinating for me.
Good growing---
Julius.

>Julius,
I have collected seed several times in the wild and never had a bit of
trouble
germinating them. Just as I said, potting soil, warmth, and in a few months
or
weeks, I had plants. Really never lost any that I collected. Often had more
than I knew what to do with. I guess, perhaps, because I was too naive to
know
that I should not be able to do this, it worked. This has happened often for
me. In fact, I have found very green seed and thought there was no hope and
they too did beautifully. I clean the seeds, put in paper towels until I got
home, and then planted on top of the potting soil when I got a chance within
week or two of getting home. Kept them covered with Saran wrap to keep from
drying out. No problem.
Betsy<